It's Tuesday July 29, 2014 Dock Quote: “We do not...
News From The Village Updated Almost Daily
- Wed Night Sailboat Race 5:30p
- Wed Open Mic Night @ The Silos - July 30
- Town Bd Agenda Mtg - July 31
- Farmers' Mkt - Sat Aug 2
- Paradise Cove Potluck - 8/2
- 2014 Dragon's Breath Regatta - Aug 2-3
Supporting Pamlico High Golf. The Story
Flight of the Condor. The Shipping News
Readers Come Through. Letters To The Editor
Schools Of Sunfish & FJs On The Neuse. The Story
A Job Well Done. Letters To The Editor
Song, Hats, Seeds. The Story
Pirates, Pageant Queens, Politicians. The Story
34th Annual Croakerfest. The Story
It Takes A Village Time To Prep. The Story
First Annual at Paradise Cove Marina. The Story
Once Again, Lawmakers Need Reminding. Letters To The Editor
Doing Nothing But Fueling Up. The Shipping News
Keeps Attorney From "Any Fiduciary Capacity" Until "Further Order From The Court". The Story
The Economic Benefits To North Carolina. Letters To The Editor
4th Annual Raises $140,000. The Story
Don't Alter Glenda's. Drawing The Town
Ongoing Effort To Host More Races. The Story
Playing in the Parking Lot. The Story
Return of Southeast Regionals. The Story
Reading Lessons. Letters To The Editor
No Room at The Bins. Letters To The Editor
Tradition Of Giving A Start on the Neuse. The Story
ODC Results From May 10. The Story
Sawyer Wins Sheriff's Primary In Pamlico. The Story
Who Is On The Ballott May 6. The Story
Scavenging, Wrecking or Theft?. The Story
Boat Made & Raffled Off. The Story
Rotary's Move To In-Town Show A Success. The Story
Paddling 200+ Miles of Neuse To Oriental . The Story
Open Air Museum. The Story
Check your parking brake. The Story
1100 Cyclists, Many Wheels, One Dragon. The Story
Update on Red Lee Jukebox At Oriental Museum. The Story
Changes To Voting Laws Go Beyond Photo ID. The Story
Calling A Deck A Deck. The Story
A Readers' Guide On What To Look For. The Story
Like Ships In A Bottle. The Story
Scenes From The Competition. The Story
What Happens At Brantley's, Stays At Brantley's. Drawing The Town
A Good Response To Bad Check. The Story
Annual Ball Is The Hope Clinic's Largest Fundraiser. The Story
The Best. The Worst. Sometimes They Are The Same.. The Story
Third Fall In As Many Weeks Covers Oriental. The Story
Six Legs Of Experience. TownDock TV
Two ducks survey the early morning scene at the end of the new Town Dock. The birds are regularly seen paddling around the harbor and they’ve quickly incorporated the new structure in to their cruising routine. In the background, the fishing vessel “Mary Margaret”, one of many shrimping trawlers that had brought their hauls to Garland Fulcher Seafood this weekend.
Monday July 28, 2014
7:32a If you regularly check out TownDock’s Hurricane Tracking page you may have noticed it looks a bit different now. We are taking advantage of new data available from NOAA – the standard two day Tropical Weather Outlook is now Five (5) days.
For example, this morning there is a disturbance southwest of the Cape Verde Islands (near Africa). While it has a 30% chance of becoming a tropical system in the next 48 hours – NOAA data indicates a 70% chance in the next 5 days. On the graphic the X marks where the disturbance is, the red shaded area the area where it would likely be when (or if) it becomes a tropical system.
This tool gives you a better “heads up” about any potential tropical systems.
If this morning’s “disturbance” does become a tropical system, and gathers enough strength to be named… the next 2014 name is Bertha. It is too early for useful computer models, but it initially appears it would head through the Caribbean, with Florida a more likely target than our shores.
If Bertha seems a familiar name – a hurricane named Bertha landed at Wilmington NC in 1996, then heading inshore through eastern NC (it passed west of Oriental).
Saturday July 26, 2014
8:50a If your life’s one anchor (or dinghy, mosquito net or brass scale) short of perfection, there’s still time to set things right. The Nautical Fleamarket runs ‘til noon. In front of the Provision Company.
Just down the street at the Farmers’ Market, plenty of honey, sausage, watermelons and fresh produce are to be had. Nothing like some just-harvested veg to go with that Rocna anchor you didn’t know you needed. Come on down.
Friday July 25, 2014
On the Saturday list: Nautical Fleamarket Saturday morning at the Provision Company. The Farmers’ Market will be underway at the same time right next to the Fleamarket on Hodges St. PCC holds its “Fresh Start” Open House Saturday from 10a-2p.
Saturday night, take a stroll into the paranormal – Dale Montgomery’s Ghost Walk starts at 8:30p near the dinghy dock. Dale has collected numerous stories that really do explore the history of Oriental and the area… it’s a good mix of storytelling with a dash of nocturnal fear. More details about all these events are in What’s Happening.
Walmart is in the news this morning – Walmart America’s CEO Bill Simon is leaving the company. Simon has a second home at River Dunes.
Last year, there had been some conjecture that Simon’s occasional local presence was what led to Oriental getting a Walmart Express (it opened in May just a few feet from the Oriental town limits). While possible, Walmart did indeed announce two years ago that North Carolina was going to be the test market for deployment of the new smaller stores (there are now about 20 of the Express stores around the state).
Thursday July 24, 2014
11:52a This past weekend golf was in the news. At The British Open some young whippersnapper named Rory McIlroy whupped up on Tiger Woods, and won the Open and the Claret Jug.
But that wasn’t the only British Open. At the same time, there was a British Open (well, maybe slightly less British) at Minnesott Golf & CC. It beat that other Open… two Claret Jugs were awarded.
6:59a Monohull or multihull? Cat or tri? It’s a discussion/argument often heard at The Bean. It gets about as many converts as a Baptist vs Episcopalian debate, but we humans have to argue about something. A recent Town Dock visitor spurred some new dialogue… a 40 foot tri named Jaz.
OK, Bunky. You’re trying to move up in the world, to put some extra gait in your step. Today is the day. The Dragon Boat practice is at 6p. The Drumming Dragons beat their drums at 7p. The UHOOs (Ukulele Hoalohas of Oriental) play at 3:30p. More info in What’s Happening. Carry On…
Tuesday July 22, 2014
4:01p A letter of thanks to pass along from Hope Clinic.
10:11a Some sad news to share. Fred Mahlstedt has passed away. Edward Mays writes in to say that Fred died on Friday after heart surgery at Carolina East. Fred and his wife, Pat moved to Oriental 20 years ago from Miller Place, NY on Long Island.
Edward pays tribute to his friend:
Fred was a fixture at the Village Club and when he could, The Silos. He always had a joke or tease for those who worked there. Fred loved his dogs. He lost his 15-year-old “Truffie” a few months back. His daughter, Pattie, shared one of her dogs, Tank, with him and he couldn’t have enjoyed him more. Fred was a good friend with a big heart. He would do anything for anyone. He will be missed.
Fred Mahlstedt was 80 and is survived by his wife Pat, one son and three daughters and 9 grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be made to PAWS and Pamlico EMS.
Coming up this Saturday Pamlico Community College holds a Fresh Start open house to share info about the courses being offered in the fall semester. Also, details on financial aid and other details for those thinking of attending the school…
Want to play the ukulele? Oriental’s uke group, the UHOOs have fine-tuned their practice schedule. They’re now rehearsing on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons at Sea Harbour. Do they welcome more uke players – even beginners? That’s a resounding, four-stringed ‘Yes’ you just heard. Details here….
For more of what’s going on in Oriental, visit our What’s Happening page. There’s on ever updated list of events coming up as well as — when you scroll down — a listing of weekly happenings that are ongoing.
Monday July 21, 2014
A real page-turner, this week’s Oriental Weather Forecast High mid 80’s and chance of rain. That’s today. That’s tomorrow. Wednesday, brace yourself for some variety. Temps will be up around 89 with a chance of rain. Ditto, Thursday. Friday and Saturday (contain your excitement further if you can) High of mid-80s with chance of rain.
There’s news from ODC:
In Division 3, WATER PHANTOM, skippered by Charlie Nelson, also had 2 bullets on Saturday to take 1st for the early season.
Brian Brown, sailing his Moore 24, NEVERMORE, had two 1st places on Saturday but, Jim Flaherty’s J70, SHAMROCK, had enough of a lead in Division 4 to hold on to 1st place for the early series.
Sunday July 20, 2014
Rinse and repeat, repeat, repeat. Your Oriental Weather Forecast calls for high of 85 and chance of rain/thunder. Same thru Tuesday.
Oriental’s History Museum’s presenting a way to get a rare view of Oriental with the aerial photos in the Come Fly With Me exhibit. New photos taken from the sky and some older ones to compare them to. There’s even one where you can mark where your house is. It’s free, though donations always welcomed. There’s also a handmade wooden chest being raffled — great holiday gift — which you can see and buy tickets for. Proceeds all go to help the museum with its operations…
Slips for lease, wonderful sunsets, Smith Creek
PCC needs Part-time Book Store Clerk
Get Your Dragon Boat Team T-Shirts Here
Striking L-shape leather couch, blck leather chair
Computer Repair, Sales, Service and Education
Boat Slips for Rent
Waterfront Home, 3 BR & 3 Baths, 2 Decks, $375,000 Furnished
Great Slips Available For Lease & Sale at Sea Harbour Yacht Club
2 acres unrestricted, cabin and camper / Trade boat, or Rent
Boat Slips for Rent
Recent cover photos:
See more cover photos...